Long Live Modernism!
Intro to Massimo Vignelli's ideas of what is an architect.
- Design is everything from a small spoon to a large city.
- The root of the believe is to make the world better through design.
-The design must reflect the culture, ethical, and values of the viewer.
-The work in process of manufacturing.
Solutions to problems
- To solve the problem one must look at the problem to find solutions.
- Answering all the questions that are posed by the problem.
-Solutions should reflect the virtue of the culture as well as the viewer rather than emotional titillations.
-When solving a problem there are no dogmas and no preconceived ideas are assumed or adopted without questioning them in the context of the project.
Improving the world
- The ethics of Modernism is to fight the ongoing battle with wrongs done by industrialization during the last century.
- The idea that Greed, Commercialization, exploitation, vulgarization, and cheapness are all things that are non-Mordernist views.
- Seeing Designers dwelling on revivals of the form rather than the content. looking more at the esthetic value rather than the content.
-There is too much trash around us both material and intellectual trash. the idea is to get rid of the trash and look forward to the future of making it a better world.
- Modernist issues have enriched perception and have contributed to improve the quality of work by solving cultural issues.
- The number of good designers with quality training have positive effects on society, and designers with bad a bad education do not help in the process.
- The government has view design as a last minute process of product embellishment.
The History of Modernism
- The ideals and fad of post-modernism is still around
- Changing to Modernism to help fuel and improve the world.
- Must change the world into a better place and to make the world better to live in.
The Myths of Graphic Education
- Portfolios are the evidence of the learning experience, but uniqueness is less important than demonstration
- Visual forms of creativity are purposeful for potential.
- schools seeking rather than feeling embarrassed about a unified character of a school's design.
- The graduates who are not motivated beyond what was learned in school are better off following an organizational and investigative premiss than grope for inventive visualization.
- An individual's artistry blossoms from knowledge and intensity. Schools can provide this free interpret, control, experiment, and communication as well as the room to express.
- Designers that cannot distinguish personality and the potential within are very narrow minded.
- The Assignments must be correct in relation to educational rather than employment goals.
Schools should not be criticized
- A school should not be criticized because the work of a students work.
- There maybe same work in portfolio can be helpful as it will incline a twist on the students work durning investigations and critiques.
- Most important foundation is quality rather than variety.
- Students after encouragement will become confident and intrigued by the complex challenges of alternatives.
Divorce the terms Liberal and Education
- Students need foundation as well as the five or ten years to master the tools and challenges.
- Familiarity with procedures and methods plus a sense of the joy of discovery.
- When a student feels secure they well freely extend himself to diverse judgment and planning.
- Designers who teach instead of design educators.
- Superficial education is too common in our profession allowing anyone to get a degree.
- Part-time teachers often deal with classrooms play acting as the real world.
- Some professors career priority is more important than the work with students.
- Providing over complicated projects could cause a student to become insecure causing their work to suffer.
- Some teachers do not have the one on one time with students because of schedule problems.
- Serious educators realize that professionals come from discipline.
- Faculty must design and engage in serous research while teaching, but the quality of the activity is more important than quantity.
- over-worked Designers are terrific educators only when taken seriously.
- Many Good designers are not good teachers
- Graphic Design has few credible ways to foster education or professional standards.
Students and Faculty
- Undergraduate programs faculty must be energetic, talented, and thoughtful individuals who respect each other, the students and department planning.
-Those who demand design are nourished in higher education via encouragement and examples.
- Design educators who acknowledge are supporting each other's appropriate and different requirements.